Sunday, January 18, 2009

A Comment on Comments

Like any blogger I appreciate comments, even critical ones. Though I believe in free speech, however, I feel conscience-bound to refuse this site as a platform to those who would spread hatred and bigotry. I have had a few comments and communications expressing contempt for/hatred of same-sex marriage or LGBT citizens. I have deleted those comments and I will continue to do so. I could not in good conscience leave such comments unanswered, and engaging such individuals in reasoned dialogue is an absurd task for which I have no patience. Someone who says s/he hates gays and lesbians for religious reasons is no different than someone who says s/he hates those who do not eat kosher food for religious reasons. Such an egregious lack of empathy and critical perspective can not be dealt with logically.

No comments: